The Animal Sciences building, located at 1675 Observatory Drive, was dedicated on November 3, 1972. Prior to the completion of this building the faculty were scattered throughout 16 buildings on campus. Currently there are 17 faculty in the Department of Animal Science with active research programs in genetics,animal health, animal nutrition, reproductive-physiolgy, and meat/muscle biology. The Biological and Biomaterials Preparation, Imaging and Characterization Laboratory (BBPIC) and Laboratory for Optical and Computational Instrumentation (LOCI) are housed in Animal Sciences.
Also housed in this building is the Department of Dairy Science, and the CALS computer lab & statistical consulting. Additional services and facilities in the building include: three general assignment classrooms, 2 laboratory classrooms, and three conference rooms.
|Arlington Agricultural Research Station||Arlington Agricultural Research Station
N695 Hopkins Road,
Arlington, WI 53911-9719
Phone – (608)846-3761
Fax – (608)846-3920
|Beef Cattle||Beef Cattle Nutrition, Beef Physiology||Steve Arp
N551 Ramsey Road
Arlington WI 53911
W4857 Meek Rd
Arlington, WI 53911
|Swine Teaching & Research Center||Jamie Reichert
Swine Research & Teaching Center
N636 County Hwy I
Arlington, WI 53911
|Campus Facilities||Terry Jobsis
|Livestock Laboratory||1810 Linden Dr|
|Equine Teaching and Research Center||1915 Linden Dr|
|Poultry Research Laboratory||1925 Observatory Dr
|Lancaster Experiment Station||Lancaster Agricultural Research Station
7396 State Road 35 & 81
Lancaster, WI 53813
(608)723-2580 Fax (608)723-2607
|Spooner Agricultural Research Station||Spooner Agricultural Research Station
W6646 Highway 70
Spooner, WI 54801-9468
The Department maintains an aquaculture research facility in the Water Science and Engineering Building. The laboratory has 1,200 square feet of wet-laboratory space that can hold dozens of aquariums and circular fiberglass tanks (30, 60 200 & 800 gallon). The water supply is carbon-filtered city water that is steam heated to maintain desired fish rearing temperatures. Species that have been reared in the facility included coho salmon, rainbow trout, lake trout, walleye, yellow perch, tilapia, Brazilian catfish (Surubim sp.), and numerous freshwater tropical aquarium species (e.g., guppies, zebrafish, Siamese fighting fish). There is also a 250 square foot analytical lab equipped with a high speed centrifuge and fume hood, and 1,500 square feet of mechanical space (e.g., water softeners, steam heaters, air blowers, emergency generator) and storage.
Terry Jobsis, Manager 225-5843
This laboratory has been designed to support intensive teaching and research activities involving the use of cattle, pigs, sheep and goats. The facility complements existing classroom and laboratory activities in the Animal Sciences Building, and the large scale animal facilities at the Arlington, Spooner and Lancaster Agricultural Research Stations. This building enables faculty to give students contact with animals during the available time in their busy class schedules. It also facilitates experimentation which necessarily requires that animals and samples from animals be in close proximity to the analytical equipment which is located in the Animal Sciences Building. Unique capabilities of this building include intensive research rooms for farm animal species, a surgery room, a neonatal pig room and a flush system for movement of animal wastes into a central tank. Animal space has been designed to accommodate more than one species and to satisfy the stringent federal requirements for care of livestock used in teaching and research programs.
Director: Dr Jim Claus
Telephone: (608)265-0463 • FAX (608)265-3110
The mission of the Meat/ Muscle Biology Program is two fold: (1) to improve the quality of muscle foods through research concerned with mechanisms regarding product enhancement, deterioration, and safety in fresh and processed meats; (2) to develop new knowledge about muscle structure and function that may be applied to animal science and human health.
This facility is located approximately one block away from the Animal Sciences Building. Although it generally houses chickens, small numbers of ducks and pheasants are occasionally housed. In addition to the animal facilities, there is a classroom, an incubation room, and a feed mixing room.
The animal rooms provide various means of rearing poultry in confinement. All birds in this facility (except the cage wing) are fed by hand (necessitated by the nutrition research), although much of the watering is automated. Two wings of the building are devoted to floor pen rearing, and are used primarily for laying hens.
One room is devoted to chicks (up to approximately 4 weeks of age), which are reared in Alternative Design battery brooders. Each brooder is equipped with nipple watering systems and feeding is done by hand. Each of the nine brooders can hold 100 meat-type chicks. Some larger grow-out brooders are also available to keep chicks longer than 4 weeks. The room is air-conditioned and heated. There is also a small isolation room which is occasionally used for rearing chicks, and which can hold two battery brooding units.
A feed mixing room is available for mixing experimental diets. Diets of up to 500 pounds can be mixed there. Larger feed orders are sent to the feed mill at the Arlington Farm Center along with the appropriate premix. This mixing facility is intended primarily for the use of the Department of Animal Sciences.
Stock Pavilion Schedule
Application for use of the Stock Pavilion must be received at least two weeks prior to anticipated use. Please contact Shelia Pink. Please read Special Health Information For Animal-Use Facility Visitors before using the facility.
(Waiver; CALS day for kids waiver; SOP for use of Stock Pavillion; SOP for Farm Animal petting zoo; Guidelines for Instructors; Requirements for Dogs)
The Stock Pavilion was finished in the summer or fall of 1909. This was a much needed facility because the "Long Courses", which is now the regular agricultural program, was rapidly increasing in number. The facility was built to accommodate the large attendance at Farmer's Course, livestock judging, and demonstrations. The main arena is 66 x 164 feet (large enough to allow an 8 horse hitch to turn) and can accommodate 2000 people. Beneath the amphitheater there were 15 box stalls, and 22 standing stalls for horses, as well as hospital type facilities for the animals. There was also storage for farm machinery and almost 600 tons of grain.
The arena has been a gathering place for many events throughout its history. President Harry Truman, seeking re-election, spoke to a capacity filled arena. Presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton gave a campaign speech in 2008. Many concerts, by leading orchestras and singers, were often held in the stock pavilion which has surprisingly good acoustics. Over the years many different departments used the stock pavilion for a myriad of events and reasons.
Currently the stock pavilion does not house animals, but animals are often brought in for educational purposes. The building is a landmark for agriculture and education at the University.